InvestmentNews has recognized Jessica Hovis Smith as a 2018 40 Under 40 Honoree. Jessica was chosen from a pool of almost 1,000 nominees by a panel of reporters, editors and other representatives of InvestmentNews, to make a list of 40 talented individuals.
“It is a true honor to be recognized by a well-respected publication like Investment News. I’m grateful for the opportunity to work with an amazing team at Longview Financial Advisors. For me, this award is recognition of the hard work our team puts into helping our clients, our industry and our community.”
InvestmentNews’ 40 Under 40 project strives to award the young talent that is rarely recognized in the financial advice industry. By rewarding these honorees, InvestmentNews hopes to reveal the promising future for the industry.
“Winners were chosen based on their level of accomplishment, contribution to the financial advice industry and leadership,” explains Frederick P. Gabriel Jr., editor of InvestmentNews. “They are role models for other young individuals who are striving to make a difference.”
Jessica, along with the others making the 5th annual 40 under 40 list, is highlighted in the June 18th issue of InvestmentNews and online at investmentnews.com.
To learn more about Jessica Hovis Smith and the 2018 winners, please visit www.investmentnews.com/section/40-under-40/2018 and www.investmentnews.com/section/40-under-40/2018/profile/18/Jessica-Smith.
InvestmentNews is the leading source for news, analysis and information essential to the financial advisory community. Since 1998, our standard of editorial excellence and deep industry knowledge has allowed us to educate, inform and engage the most influential financial advisers. Through a weekly newspaper, website, newsletters, research, events, videos and webcasts, InvestmentNews provides exclusive and up-to-the-minute news, as well as actionable intelligence, that empowers financial advisers to serve their clients and run their businesses more effectively whenever, however and wherever they need it.
The InvestmentNews headquarters are located in New York, with offices in Chicago and Washington D.C. InvestmentNews is part of Crain Communications, Inc.
Congratulations to Longview’s Jeff Cedarholm who recently received the Certified Investment Management Analyst® (CIMA®) designation.
CIMA® is an advanced professional certification for investment consultants which places an emphasis on combining theory and practical application. CIMA® professionals have completed the Investments & Wealth Institute’s Certified Investment Management Analyst certification program, which includes topics such as Modern Portfolio Theory, Asset Allocation, Manager Search and Selection, Investment Policy, and Performance Measurements. Recipients have passed the 4-hour Certification Exam, completed a background check, signed a compliance disclosure, and completed the CIMA® license agreement. It requires 40 hours of continuing education requirements every two years.
Congratulations to Longview’s Wes Johnson who recently received the Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) designation.
CIMA is an advanced professional certification for investment consultants, which places an emphasis on combining theory and practical application. CIMA professionals have completed the Investments & Wealth Institute’s Certified Investment Management Analyst certification program, which includes topics such as Modern Portfolio Theory, Asset Allocation, Manager Search and Selection, Investment Policy, and Performance Measurements. Recipients have passed the 4-hour Certification Exam, completed a background check, signed a compliance disclosure, and completed the CIMA license agreement. It requires 40 hours of continuing education requirements every two years.
This is a huge undertaking and accomplishment. We are so proud of you, Wes!
Congratulations to Longview’s Jeff Jones who has been selected as a regular contributor to the U.S. News & World Report. He will contribute monthly articles to U.S. News’ The Smarter Investor section, which focuses on giving “real-life investing advice from experts.”
As many of you already know, my daughter, Emma, was admitted to Huntsville Hospital a few weeks ago. After spending close to a week there, the recommendation was made for a transfer to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital in Nashville so she could be under the care and observation of specialists and hopefully have a diagnosis determined.
With that said, I am happy to announce that on February 14th (19 days in the hospital!), we are back home. What a great Valentine’s Day it was for our family.
Unfortunately, as of now, there is still no diagnosis. Numerous tests have been sent to the Mayo Clinic and we hope to have those results in the coming weeks. Until then, Emma, Kristin, and I will be making frequent trips to Nashville for follow up appointments and review of treatments we are doing at home.
We are so appreciative of the calls, messages, cards, thoughts, and prayers from so many of you. This has been such a scary time for me and Kristin, but the love and support given to Emma during this time brings us so much comfort and happiness. Thank you!
To wrap it all up, below is a picture of Emma right before we left to come home. Her smile is very contagious and I hope it brightens your day!
On Wednesday, February 7th, Longview received a 2017 Compass Award from the Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville. The award is given “in recognition of your expertise and commitment to improving the quality of life in our community through philanthropy.” We are proud to partner with the Community Foundation to help make a difference in our communities.
We are proud to announce that Lauren Cooper, CFP®, has completed the process to become an Investment Advisor Representative (IAR) at Longview. By completing this process, Lauren becomes a lead financial planner at Longview, offering comprehensive financial planning to clients and specializing in working with clients interested in Medicare and Social Security planning. Please join us in congratulating Lauren on her accomplishment!
An Investment Advisor Representative is registered with their state’s securities regulator. An IAR has completed the testing and education requirements to provide investment advice to their clients.
For many people, December is a time to look back. A time to reflect on the past year’s successes and failures. Some take a moment to mourn another year gone. Others celebrate another year given. Thanks to the United States Congress and the President, much of our December was spent on tax planning! So, we’ll count January as the next best time to reflect. Here are just a few of 2017’s highlights:
- In January, Longview welcomed Lauren Cooper to the Financial Planning team. She became Longview’s eighth full-time employee.
- In April, Team Longview participated and ran in HudsonAlpha’s Double Helix Dash 5k. To save embarrassment, we have refrained from posting finishing times.
- April may have brought showers. It also brought Kids To Love’s Denim and Diamonds event for which we were proud to serve as the flagship sponsor.
- Perhaps August brought the biggest surprise. Longview was named as the 2017 Small Business/Professional Services of the Year winner by the Huntsville Madison County Chamber of Commerce.
- In September, Jessica, Andrew, and JJ attended the Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville’s 2017 Summit on Philanthropy. Additionally, Jeff Jones was named as president of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors’ South Region Board.
- In October, Jessica Smith was named to the Community Foundation of Greater Huntsville’s Women’s Endowment Advisory Council.
- In November, Andrew Gipner and his wife welcomed their first child, Emma James Gipner. Longview’s family continues growing! We also enjoyed attending the HudsonAlpha Ties the Ribbons event!
- In December, we came together to celebrate a wonderful year with our holiday gathering.
- In addition to the charitable organizations mentioned above, we also partnered with the United Way of Etowah County and the Boys & Girls Club of North Alabama in 2017.
- We celebrated with you as well. Some of you hit milestone birthdays – 30, 40, 50, 60, even 70. We celebrated as you grew your families, some becoming first-time parents. We watched as you sent your babies off to college, and for some, your babies welcomed their own babies. We celebrated your new homes. We also mourned the loss of some dear clients and friends.
Our job, our pleasure, is serving you. We count you as friends. Your holiday cards, photos of you, your family, your children and grandchildren, along with countless thank you cards adorn our break room wall. They bring smiles to our faces.
So, thank you. Thank you for making 2017 a fantastic year. We can’t wait to see what 2018 holds.